By Mignon Aal, Wellness Supervisor, Bucuti & Tara Beach Resort
In these uneasy times, we could all use an extra dose of wellness. There are many ways to pursue wellness, but the question is: How can we learn to prioritize and incorporate wellness habits into our daily life?
Here are some simple tips that you can apply right away!
- Make it a habit to wake up and move your body; even if it is only for 10 minutes. Once it becomes part of your routine it will be easier to build up from there and increase the time to 30 minutes or more. According to an article published by the NCBI, Exercising allows us to increase our capacity to tolerate and endure sustained periods of physical and mental discomfort; it strengthens our tolerance and resilience to stress. (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3622473/) There are bountiful exercise videos online that are easy to follow, but even just putting on some music and moving to the beat will do its work.
- Connect to Nature. Connecting to nature lifts your spirit. Pick your favorite natural environment and practice mindfulness, (sitting in front of an open window will also work) use all of your senses and pay attention to what you see, hear, smell, taste and feel. Go barefoot if you can and feel the ground below your feet. Pay attention to how in nature everything seems to make a little more sense. This will help you relax your mind and make you feel more grounded.
- Spend time every day on your passion. If you are not sure what your passion is, now, during the quarantaine, is the perfect time to find out! When there is a moment in a day where you have nothing to do, what is it that you reach out to? What attracts and excites you? This is your passion, try to do more of it!
- Practice gratitude. This is my favorite, as it has helped me get through the most stressful times. At the end of each day write down 3 things that you are grateful for that have happened that day. It can be a beautiful sunset, a conversation with a loved one, even a good cup of coffee. There are always things to be grateful for. You will see that the next day you will wake up a happier person.
- Take a trip to a beach. You might not be able to apply this right away, but it will be a great way to recuperate once this pandemic is over. According to an article published by the university of New Hampshire, the sun and the sound of the waves combined work to help you relax your body and release stress. Serotonin, a key hormone for relaxation and happiness, is almost immediately released when you arrive on the beach. Spending as little time as 10 minutes in the sun, you can absorb an entire day’s worth of vitamin D! The extra vitamin D you absorb throughout your day at the beach will be stored in your body to be used later. https://www.unh.edu/healthyunh/blog/psychological-health/2017/07/being-beach-good-your-health
And when all of this strangeness is over, we hope to welcome you here at Bucuti & Tara Beach Resort - and one of most beautiful beaches in the world, to help you restore and revitalize both body and mind....