Today kicks off the United Nations SDG week in Aruba and Worldwide.
What are SDG's? The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, adopted by all United Nations Member States in 2015, provides a shared blueprint for peace and prosperity for people and the planet, now and into the future. At its heart are the 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), which are an urgent call for action by all countries - developed and developing - in a global partnership. They recognize that ending poverty and other deprivations must go hand-in-hand with strategies that improve health and education, reduce inequality, and spur economic growth – all while tackling climate change and working to preserve our oceans and forests. The 17 goals are divided into 5 pillars; people, prosperity, planet, peace and partnerships.
How is Bucuti & Tara joining the effort? The following are actions that our resort has created as a part of our culture of sustainability, and which align with the UN SDG's:
- Sustainability and Climate Action:
- We continue to be certified Carbon Neutral since 2018 and are busy with our quest to be NetZero/Carbon negative.
- Just this year, we have privately invested 1.5 million Afl in new HVAC, replacement to new and improved technology with our solar panels as well as insulating paint technologies to reduce our emissions
- We are 90% paperless
- We provide an in room video to inform guests about the extensive program Bucuti & Tara has developed to reduce the carbon footprint and operate responsibly and sustainably.
- We have created the Carbon Neutral Vacation for travelers with Climate Anxiety to promote sustainable travel with the creation of a Offset Concierge who helps calculate offsets and sustainable and carbon neutral activities and transport to produce a Carbon neutral vacation
- Life Below Water
- We continue our monthly beach clean ups and, we organized an event with 100 volunteers for the International Coastal Clean up with National Parke Arikok
- We continue to support Turtugaruba and educate associates and guests about sea turtles and their protection
- Affordable and Clean Energy
- We upgraded our solar panels for higher efficiency and power generation and support wind and solar energy companies through our carbon neutral certification
- We are introducing low interest loans to associates who want to purchase an EV bicycle, vehicle or solar panels or Energy saving appliances for their personal homes. We are organizing professional energy audits for any employee looking to reduce their consumption at home.
- Good Health and Well Being
- We implemented free gym memberships for associates at a local gym
- We introduced healthy portions for guests, and eliminated beef from employee meals, offering vegetables and healthy options which also lowers our carbon footprint
- All associates enjoy healthy meals
- Gender Equality
- We educate our associates to be inclusive and welcoming and have recognition of gender equality both for each other and for our guests
- Life On Land
- We reforested acres of land in Noord and inspired the creation of 'Lanta y Planta'
- Industry Innovation and Infrastructure
- Our resort has been certified LEED Gold
- We repainted all of our buildings in and out with new technology insulating paint for energy efficiency
The above are some of the initiatives we have implemented that align with the goals of the UN SDG's
To read about our extensive sustainability program, click HERE