- Resort Info
- Photos & Videos
An Eco-Friendly Resort
Nestled on the most romantic and secluded section of Aruba’s Eagle Beach, Bucuti & Tara Beach Resort's 14-acre stretch of white sand is consistently named one of the Caribbean’s top beaches. Our guests flock here to relax in luxury amidst the sheer natural beauty of the turquoise waters, pristine beach and warm, gentle breezes.
At Bucuti & Tara Beach Resort, we’re just as passionate about nature and its beauty as you are. In fact, Bucuti is one of Aruba's – and the Caribbean’s – greenest hotels and has been since it was built in 1987.
We’re eco-pioneers, and creating a sustainable, eco-friendly resort is woven throughout the fabric of our company culture. We’re proud to have initiated the first Green Globe 21 certification of hotels in Aruba in 2000, and we are the first resort in the Americas to be certified ISO 14001.
Owner Ewald Biemans is a visionary in sustainable tourism, and has been the most prolific steward of Aruba’s community for the environment. We go far beyond towel- and electricity-saving programs, and have made significant investments in eco-technologies and systems, as well as environmentally safe products. The resort has been called “a glowing example for all Caribbean hoteliers.” Among our many environmental initiatives are:
- Switching to greener, eco-friendly types of paper for its resort marketing materials, by which Bucuti & Tara Beach Resort has been able to save 82 trees, as well as reduce waste water by 37,617 gallons, solid waste by 2,315 lb and greenhouse gases by 7,936 lb.
- Ensuring we have the lowest per-occupied-room electricity usage of all hotels in Aruba. (Source: Central Bank of Aruba study by Deloitte)
- Reducing our carbon footprint by sourcing local suppliers and products made on Aruba.
- Solar panels heating water for guest rooms and the laundry.
- Water reducers, which cut down water flow by 60% in all showers and faucets, and low-flow toilets.
- Sink and shower water treated and reused in the gardens.
- Bulk purchasing and use of in-room dispensers delivering genuine Aruba Aloe freshly made shampoos, conditioners and lotions instead of individual packages in plastic containers.
- Using bio-degradable and environmentally friendly detergents.
Environmental awareness has always been a major focus of Bucuti & Tara Beach Resort, and long before phrases like “eco-tourism” and “eco-resorts” moved into the mainstream, Bucuti was winning awards such as the Caribbean Hotel Association Environmental Stewardship Award. Since then we’ve gone on to earn numerous environmental awards and certifications.
In addition to our own environmental work at the resort, Bucuti & Tara Beach Resort supports community eco-efforts, including:
- Donkey Sanctuary Aruba, a volunteer-run foundation that takes in sick and injured animals
- Turtugaruba, a local foundation that protects giant sea turtles
- Animal Rights Aruba, which aims to protect all fauna, flora and marine life on and around the island of Aruba
At Bucuti & Tara Beach Resort, luxury and an eco-friendly business model aren’t mutually exclusive – they go hand-in-hand. Want to know more about our green practices? Download our Environmental Best Practices brochure or find out how you can get involved.
Sample year is 2004. Environmental impact estimates were made using the Environmental Defense Fund Paper Calculator. For more information visit http://www.papercalculator.org.